If you are considering an air conditioning upgrade or your heating system just broke down, it can be difficult to narrow down the list of available HVAC contractors in Bridgeport, CT. This is especially harrowing if you have an emergency. The best time to find a regular HVAC technician is before an emergency occurs, so do your research now to ensure you are ready—just in case. Here are five tips to finding a good HVAC contractor:
- Request references: Ask friends and family to recommend an HVAC company. You will receive an honest opinion that you already know you can trust. However, if you do not know anyone who had HVAC service completed recently and you find someone online, ask for references. If they are unwilling to give you this information, find someone else. The only reason this would happen is if there is something to hide. It can save you pain later if you secure feedback on a company before hiring them.
- Seek experience: You want a repair or installation job completed correctly the first time, and that requires experience. It is unlikely that you need a senior technician for every effort; however, you still need someone who can effectively address the issue. Master technicians gain experience while in apprenticeship and learn from others who have been in the business longer. If you are working with a technician with less experience, ask the company if a senior technician will be supervising them.
- Licensing and credentials: HVAC companies are licensed at the state level and should have a board number. This indicates they passed testing and meet minimum competency levels. They also carry insurance, which protects your interests if there is damage to your home or business or a technician is injured. You not only want skilled assistance, but also protection in case anything goes wrong. That is why you need to hire a licensed technician every time. The money you save hiring an unlicensed technician could cost you more in the long run.
- Versatility: A technician should be well versed in different models, layouts and types of HVAC systems. You want to hire someone who works with all major brands, but also a few obscure ones—especially if you have a system that is less well known. If your system is more specialized, or even rare, finding a specialist could be your best course of action, especially if that system has quirks that only an expert can address.
- Secure estimates: If you hire a technician for a large job, like a full system installation, ask for an estimate first, and get it in writing. This will help you budget, but also gives you a good idea of what to expect with the installation. For smaller jobs, feel free to ask about pricing before the technician visits. They should be able to give you a price range, and many companies also offer specials on routine maintenance.
BLM Refrigeration Heating & Air Conditioning is one of the most versatile HVAC contractors in Bridgeport, CT. Call us today if you need assistance with HVAC in your home or business.
Categorised in: HVAC Contractors
This post was written by Writer