HVAC systems aren’t totally silent when they’re running, but that doesn’t mean they should be making so much noise that you can hear them from inside your home! Strange sounds coming from your system are a good indicator that it’s time for HVAC repair in Bridgeport, CT. Keep reading to learn more about a few of these common noises and what can be done to avoid them:
- Rattling: Hearing a rattling noise in the wild is a bad sign—it could mean that a rattlesnake is in the area! Although that’s probably not the case if you hear a rattle while you’re at home, it’s still not an ideal situation. If the noise seems to be coming from outside, the rattling is probably being caused by some debris stuck inside the AC unit. Shut off your system and try to remove the debris. If anything looks damaged, you’ll need to call an HVAC pro for repairs. Rattling noises coming from inside, meanwhile, probably have to do with your furnace. If that’s the case, call an HVAC technician right away to make repairs.
- Squealing: Picture this: you’re sitting inside watching TV, when all of a sudden you hear a squealing noise coming through your vents. Is it a mouse or rodent? Hopefully not! As blowers and fans age, they tend to squeal as they’re running. These squeals are surefire signs that they’re about to go out and need to be repaired or replaced at once. Since this can be a complicated repair, you’ll need to call one of the professionals at BLM Refrigeration Heating & Air Conditioning for help.
- Hissing: Hearing a slight hissing noise coming from your walls or vents is another common sound many people report. Thankfully, this one isn’t too serious. Hissing means that air is escaping from somewhere in your ductwork or near your unit. If the sound is coming from the walls, air is seeping through your ducts. That won’t cause any long-term damage, but it wastes money on your heating and cooling bills. DIY-ers can sometimes make duct repairs by themselves, but it’s best to call an HVAC technician to ensure the job is performed correctly. If you hear hissing coming from your unit, your filters either need to be replaced or are the wrong size. Replace your filters and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn’t, an HVAC technician will need to make some repairs.
What can be done to prevent these noises?
As with any type of home maintenance, HVAC problems can often be prevented from getting serious with a little bit of proactive effort:
- Call for maintenance: Picking up the phone and calling an HVAC technician for a maintenance visit is the number one way you can avoid problems with your heating and air conditioning. In the spring, an HVAC technician will inspect and clean your AC unit, and in the fall, one of our pros will make sure your furnace is operating as it should.
- Call for repairs as soon as possible: Ignoring any strange noises is always a bad idea. The longer you wait to call, the more expensive your repairs will be. Additionally, systems that aren’t functioning properly are probably inefficient and are wasting money each month on your heating and cooling bills.
Call BLM Refrigeration Heating & Air Conditioning the first time you hear one of these sounds or notice a different problem with your heating or air conditioning system. One of our professionals can be at your house in no time for HVAC repair in Bridgeport, CT!
Categorised in: HVAC Repair
This post was written by Writer