Spring is here, which means summer’s hot temperatures are just around the corner in Bridgeport, CT. Is your air conditioning system up to the task? Tuning up your system ensures that it runs safely and efficiently and is less likely to break down on the hottest days of the year. Here’s how to get your HVAC system ready for the warmer weather:
- Change your filters: You should be changing your HVAC filters every few months—or more often, if anyone in your household suffers from respiratory illness or allergies. Not only is this good for keeping dust, pollen, mold and other contaminants out of your air, but a dirty filter also inhibits your HVAC unit’s operation. If the air can’t blow through the filter easily, your air conditioner will work overtime to cool down the house. That means expensive utility bills. Set a calendar reminder to replace your filter every 90 days or less.
- Have your ductwork cleaned: You should try to have your ductwork cleaned about once every five years, so if you can’t remember the last time you had it done, it’s time to schedule an appointment. Cleaning the ductwork removes excess dirt and dust, insect bodies and droppings. It also offers the opportunity to seal any leaks, which means you’re not paying to cool down the attic.
- Update your thermostat settings: If you have a programmable or automatic thermostat, resetting the system helps make sure you have the most efficient settings available for the warmer weather. If you don’t already have a programmable thermostat, now is a good time to consider upgrading. Smart thermostats are great for keeping your heating and cooling costs lower all year long.
- Make sure the heating system is shut down: Now that spring is here, it’s time to shut down your furnace for the season. Furnaces need to be properly shut down before you start running the air conditioner all the time, so have your HVAC technician make sure everything is in order during a full inspection.
- Call your HVAC contractor for a full inspection: Finally, speaking of a full inspection, make sure you schedule yours! Having an HVAC contractor come out in the spring and fall for a tune-up ensures that everything is in working order. You’re less likely to suffer outages and other problems when you get regular HVAC inspections.
Keeping up with your HVAC maintenance is a smart and easy way to stay cool all spring and summer long. Since many of us will continue to spend more time indoors this season, you might as well be comfortable—and save money on your power bills in the process. Plus, if it’s time to repair or replace your unit, your HVAC contractor can take care of it before the weather really heats up.
When you need air conditioning system repairs, tune-ups or replacement in Bridgeport, CT, the team at BLM Refrigeration Heating & Air Conditioning is here to help. Reach out to us today to schedule your next service appointment.
Categorised in: Air Conditioning Service
This post was written by Writer