Depending on the severity of your HVAC issue, repairs can be extremely expensive. That’s why you should always take good care of your system by providing it with proper maintenance. HVAC repair prevention should include cleaning ducts, checking blades and changing filters, among other tasks. Below we’ve provided some helpful fall HVAC maintenance tips to get you started:
- Protect your outdoor unit: Limbs, leaves and other debris can cause major damage to your outdoor HVAC unit. That’s why it’s important to clear away any debris within several feet of the unit. If you aren’t using your HVAC unit, be sure to cover it. There are many great covers available online designed specifically for HVAC units. Just be sure to avoid any airtight covers, as this could cause moisture to build up on the inside, potentially leading to rust.
- Clear the ducts: Your air ducts can get extremely dirty over time. Before the weather gets too cold, it’s best to check your ducts for dust, dirt or signs of mold. If you notice any of these contaminants, be sure to have your ducts cleaned right away. You don’t want the contaminants ending up in your air supply. While it’s possible to clean them yourself, most people prefer calling in an expert to ensure the job is done as thoroughly and safely as possible.
- Replace the air filters: It’s important to change your air filters if they’re covered in a layer of dust and other contaminants. The frequency with which you should change your air filters can vary greatly based on several factors. For example, someone with pets will likely have to change their filters more frequently than someone without. Most experts recommend checking your air filters around once every month.
- Schedule regular checkups: One of the best things you can do for your HVAC system is have a professional check for any issues. During an inspection, your HVAC technician will likely clean the coils, check the fans and more. It’s good to schedule an inspection at least twice a year, once before the heating season and once before the cooling season. This will help ensure your HVAC system runs at maximum efficiency all year long.
- Keep an eye on the blades: To ensure proper airflow, it’s important to keep the blades of your HVAC unit free from dirt. If there’s a lot of dirt and dust, you may need to use a vacuum to clear some of it away. After getting rid of the bigger clumps of dust, you can use a damp rag to clear away the rest.
As you can see, there are plenty of things you can do to prevent major HVAC system repairs. Simply follow the fall HVAC maintenance tips mentioned above. That said, if your HVAC system needs repairs, it’s important to contact a professional right away. Putting off HVAC repairs could result in a bigger problem down the line. It could even result in the need for a system replacement.
At BLM Refrigeration Heating & Air Conditioning, we provide top-quality HVAC repair services at fair prices. Contact us today to speak with an expert about your needs.
Categorised in: HVAC Maintenance
This post was written by Writer